In this fourth and final installment about improving flexibility in your hips we are going to show the optimal way to perform some common exercises to get the most benefit for the health of your muscles and joints.
8 Key reminders:
- Always aim to maintain alignment of your rib cage over your hips
- Maintain your foot tripod
- Avoid cues like, pull your abs in or squeeze your glutes
- Pain is NOT ok
- Your flexibility should improve when you execute the exercises correctly
- To maintain the above you may find you do not move as deep or as far into and exercise or lift as much weight
- Be ok with less is more sometimes in the case of reps/sets and weight for the health of your joints and muscles. You can build back up, now with optimal form
- How you exercise, repetition after repetition will translate into your posture and how you move.
Last issue we shared the importance of being able to hinge at the hip joint. Note in the model below how no matter the exercise the motion happens at...